Sunday 30 January 2011

well worn weekend

What a great weekend! It was full of action and excitement, mostly due to the fact that my cousin was in town visiting with her two young kids, ages 2 and 5. Man, does a 2 year old boy ever get tired? I don't think so. Because Michelle and her family were in town it was a perfect excuse for my sister to take the weekend off from studying and spend time at home, and for my older brother to come up for a visit with his fiancée Amanda. We spent lots of time chasing after kids, walking dogs, sledding and just enjoying spending time together. And while I had the opportunity I grabbed some FO shots!

Stilwell for Lilia

Lilia was wearing the Stilwell sweater I knit for her for Christmas. It looks perfect on her, she looked very cute with her layered stripes underneath. She wore this the day we went sledding, it was just right for keeping toasty warm until we got back indoors for hot chocolates. I had originally started this sweater for myself, but though I knit the smallest size, it ended up a little too roomy for me. I suspected as much while I was knitting it, there are plenty of very well placed short rows for extra shaping around the bust, the only problem is... I don't need that extra room around my bust! As I was knitting it I kept thinking that maybe I should remove some of the shaping and just knit it straight, but instead I went against my instinct and followed the pattern blindly. The pattern is great, and the sweater fits my sister perfectly, but I've learnt my lesson and from now on will follow my gut and customize patterns to fit my own shape rather than just doing as I'm told by the pattern.

The yarn used in for this sweater is one of my faves, all rustic wooly goodness from the Lismore Sheep Farm
Stilwell for Lilia

Elliot spent Saturday wearing the Trellis sweater I knit him for Christmas. Is there a trick to sewing buttons on sweaters? Elliot lost a button and so did his sister Abby, I must be doing something wrong... It was tough to get Elliot to stand still for a proper photo shoot, but these actions shots do a pretty good job of showing just how cute a 2 year old in a little old man sweater is!

Elliot's trellis

The sweater fits him very well, he's got a little room to grow and the sleeves are usually worn rolled up, but it is still very sweet!

Elliot's trellis

And when we weren't playing games, climbing on couches, colouring, baking cookies (or eating cookies) I managed to fit in a couple hair braiding sessions with Abby. She has beautiful, silky smooth, golden blond hair that looks like a million bucks in a french braid. I used to spend hours and hours braiding the hair on my barbies and my little ponies, having a real live head of hair to braid is so much better!