Saturday, 11 December 2010

Grammy's Hats and Mittens pattern

Grammy's Hats and Mitts. I've worn them my entire life, every single member of my family has worn them their entire lives (and I'm not just talking brothers and sister, I mean cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews!) When I went to Vancouver last month and my brother and I were waiting for the bus and it was un-seasonally cold, we both pulled out our mitts from Grammy. (Vince was wearing a hat from Grammy too, but I was wearing my Winter Snowflake hat.)

Tuques for everyone!

Anyways, all that to say that it wasn't until recently that I really discovered the brilliance of Grammy's hat pattern. I think that I always took it for granted because I was so used to it, but after knitting several this past week, I'm officially a big fan and will never take it for granted again. The brilliance of this pattern lies in the ribbing. The entire body of the hat is knit in 6x2 ribbing, so though it's a wide and subtle rib, it means that the hat fits perfectly every time. It hugs the contours of the head and is stretchy so it fits just about any head size. The rim is worked in 2x2 ribbing, and meant to be turned up so not only do you get a double layer of warmth over your ears, depending on how much you roll up the rim you can make it longer or shorter, again making it fit any head size! That makes this hat perfect for gifts, since you don't always have the recipients head available for fitting, you know this hat will fit every time.

Tuques for everyone!

This is a great project for using up leftover yarns by making fun stripy hats. Grammy's hats were almost always striped and always had a pompom on top. I love the pompom!

Tuque for Elliot


Now that you've got your winter hat, you need mitts... don't worry, Grammy's got a pattern for mitts too!

IMG_0061

Download Grammy's Hat and Mitts pattern by clicking the link below:


Ravelry pattern page for Mitts here.
Ravelry pattern page for Hat here.

IMG_0062

This is another perfect use for leftover yarn. To me, the stripes are what make these mittens special. The crazier the combo, the better!

IMG_0067

29 comments:

  1. Grammie is so proud you have inherited her love of knitting. Now her brilliant basic patterns will live on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this pattern, it is just what I need

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these patterns. They will become a staple in my knitting. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! How generous of you to share the patterns. Maybe I'll make some. I MAY have some TFA aran still kicking around... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting these patterns! What a generous gift for your blog followers. :)

    It occurs to me that these patterns are more or less *perfect* for charity knitting, too, what with the "one size fits pretty much everyone" hat, and the easily adjust mitts. (I am thinking of this particularly since Minnesota (US) just got hit with a *very* big blizzard, and then the temps started to plunge. It's 0 F right now with a windchill of -22 F, and not supposed to get more than a degree or two warmer today. I was very, very glad to have been inside last night, and was hoping everyone in the area was inside *somewhere*.)

    Anyway, be sure to tell your Grammie how much her patterns are appreciated. I'm sure they will get a LOT of use! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing these patterns Tanis, they look like classics that I will be trying soon! Just wondering, for the afterthought thumb, are both mittens made the same or are there specific right and left mitts? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those hates & mitts! They remind me of what I used to wear when I was a little kid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle, the left and right mitten are knit exactly the same way, it's the pressing at the end that makes them distinctly left or right.

    Tanis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent! I now have the perfect use for my scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing your hat and mitts pattern. It's always nice to knit a much loved pattern. I will be kntting both the mitts and hat for family members over my holidays.
    Best wishes,
    Wooly

    ReplyDelete
  12. So awesome!! I love the matching mittens, too. talk abotu the perfect go-to unisex hat- love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your family heirloom patterns!
    Lisa in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing Tanis -I've never actually made full mittens and I've been looking for a good pattern for my first attempt - this is perfect! I'm also whipping off a grammy hat for some stocking stuffers ;o) I'll send pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Tanis! Especially since I specifically requested this pattern. I have asked for some Green Label for Christmas...let's see if Santa thinks I have been good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurrah! I didn't have time to order any before Christmas so I made up a little hat with some Noro. Can't wait to try it again with a rainbow of TFA colors. :)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mellowynk/5279523022/

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love it i want to do it but i didnt understand the abriviations could someone help me pls

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love it i want to do them but i dont understand abriviations

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing the patterns. I have been looking for this kind of hat & was unable to find it anywhere. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Soha, are you wanting to make the hat or mittens? What abbreviations do you need help with? I'll try to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to try this for two granchildren. Any advice on her to downsize the pattern for a child?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super pattern love the colours you have used.
    Julie.C

    ReplyDelete
  23. I, too, would like to make these for grandchilden, but do not know how to make the pattern smaller - especially the mittens! Do you have pattern directions for children?
    TU
    MJ Strong

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would like to make these for granchildren and for charity project. Can you send me a revised version for children?
    MJ Strong

    ReplyDelete
  25. I knit hats and mitts for the Coats For Kids program and wanted a basic simple pattern and this just fits the bill.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your Grammies hat and mittens patterns. Thanks so much for sharing them in pdf form. I'll be making lots. I came across your blog from a link on All Free Knitting Knit Picky patterns email.

    PS - just wish you didn't have that darn word verification which is so hard to read

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your Grammy's Hat pattern and want to knit it for a couple of friends. Unfortunately, the pdf is pretty much impossible to read. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for the Grammy's Hat and Mitten pattern. Easy to do, and beutiful! I belong to a knitting club and we knit hats and mittens for our school children, chemo hats, and hats/mittens/scarves for disabled vets. You patters have become a favorits in the group. Thank you again for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was looking for a hat pattern like this for my Dad, he's going through chemo treatments right now, and I want to make him a nice cozy hat in case he loses his hair. Thanks so much for sharing your family hat & mittens patterns! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to answer questions right here in the comments, so if you ask a question, be sure to check back because the answer might be here waiting for you! If you have a really specific question that deserves a more in depth answer be sure to leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can get in touch with you.