Thursday 30 June 2011

Clara Dresses

Clara Dress - pretty wind

This adorable little dress makes me so happy. I'm just crazy for it! I think that knitted dresses for little girls kind of went out of fashion, but I am working hard to bring them back! When I was a little girl I had several favorite knit dresses (I don't exactly remember, but my mom has lots of photo's of me in beautiful dresses knit by my aunt's to prove it). 

Clara Dress

This is the Clara Dress pattern by Karin Vestergaard Mathiesen. The pattern is only available as a kit, I bought mine here. I chose a pretty pale grey alpaca yarn for my kit, but I plan on using that yarn for something else. This dress looks so pretty in hand dyed fingering weight yarn. 

Clara Dress

I knit the small size with just under one skein of TFA Blue Label Fingering Weight yarn in a One of a Kind colourway that I just love. It has the prettiest layered shades of blues and greens. And then there's that vintage button I found in my mom's button tin, it's the cherry on top. I love it. 

Clara Dress - that button!

I knit this pattern exactly as written and love the results. I read on a few Ravelry project pages that the neck opening runs a little tight so I used jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind-off and I'm hoping that will do the trick. 

The day I cast off this dress I immediately cast on for a second. I have a friend expecting a baby girl at the end of July, you may remember me knitting her this adorable sweater for her shower. I decided to make her a complementary dress to go with it. 

Clara Dress

This time I dug into the non-TFA stash and found a very pretty skein of Hedgehog Fibres sock yarn in the Tidepool colourway. The pastel colours are perfect for a baby project. 

Clara Dress

Another quick search through the button tin and I found a pretty sea foam button that looks lovely with the yarn. Isn't that little keyhole opening in the back just adorable? I can't wait to see this dress on an actual baby. 

Clara Dress

Ravelry project pages: here and here