Thursday, 14 March 2013

Puff Daddy

IMG_3574
IMG_3764

I found the perfect chair for the nursery. It is a shape and style that I love, has wood tones that coordinate with the dresser I have for the room, it rocks and it swivels, its exactly what I wanted! Oh, and it was $35 purchased at a second hand store. Score! Full disclosure, it was $35 but then I spilled a ton of dough into having it reupholstered, so technically this is no longer a cheap chair, but it is still perfect. 

With the right chair in the room I then began my search for just the right foot stool/ottoman. I had originally wanted something with storage, the room is tiny and I thought that a double duty piece was a good idea, but I couldn't find anything that I liked. Then one day I saw this blog post and was completely sold on the Puff Daddy Pouf for my room.

I had a few skeins of a "Not Quite Chris Grey" colourway hanging around my office, it's darker and more blue than Chris Grey, but not as dark or as blue as Atlantic. I used 3 strands held together, cast on 40 sts and just knit until I felt like this puppy was large enough. Simple as that. All in all I probably used about 5 full skeins worth of yarn (I broke into 6 skeins since I was holding 3 strands together, but I stopped with about a third of each of the last 3 skeins remaining). Though my pouf is gorgeous, I wouldn't really recommend my Green Label for this project simply because a much less expensive craft yarn would do the trick just as well. Being able to knit this in such a nice yarn is a real luxury.

Chris and I then spent a good evening trying to figure out the best way to stuff it. Not as easy as it seems. I'm still not thrilled with our stuffing job and will likely try again one day down the road. We used a pillow, a bunch of quilt batting, some upholstery foam and a bunch of duct tape to form our pouf shape. I'm happy with the shape, but I blame Chris for being over enthusiastic with the duct tape, it's not as soft and cushy as it should be. But without the tape it was a weird, mis-shaped ball... I wish I had a mini bean bag chair to stuff in there. 

12 comments:

  1. We have a puff at home which we all love and it is stuffed with sea grass. It is quite heavy which is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for linking to the pattern for the puff! I saw yours in your nursery post and actually gasped because it's perfect. I had been looking online for patterns to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my eye on the Puff Daddy pattern for a long time and hope to get it to it soon! So thank you for sharing your stuffing experiences...maybe I'll start looking for a good deal on a bean bag chair to use.

    Oh, and that's amazing you got that chair for $35! It's beautiful, and I think the upholstery job was worth it to get exactly what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, can't believe you made that--i hate large needle projects. looks great in the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. duct tape? lol! that is awesome!!! i love your puff daddy! it's beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that was a Puff Daddy when you first posted the nursery pics - nicely done! And I'm with Nook - duct tape?!!!!!! Mais, oui. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh... I've been dying to make a pouf too! The one thing that's stopping me is yes, the stuffing part. I've seen poufs that are weirdly shaped and don't know if I can handle that. So thanks for mentioning your stuffing experience!

    PS: your chair is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! thought I saw a post the other day (forget who) and they used an old duvet to stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks amazing. I bought a sack of beanbag beans from eBay. They go EVERYWHERE when you try to decant them. I'm still finding rogue beans 2 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am having some serious coveting of this. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bought Knit Today though I'm in Canada so it's not the most recent issue and there is a pattern for 2 sizes of poufs and duvets are used to stuff them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the baby room colour scheme and mood, Tanis!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to answer questions right here in the comments, so if you ask a question, be sure to check back because the answer might be here waiting for you! If you have a really specific question that deserves a more in depth answer be sure to leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can get in touch with you.