Monday 28 May 2012

Balance

African Flower Hexagon blanket in progress

I haven't knit a single stitch in close to 2 weeks. It's kind of stressing me out, but I'm coming to terms with it. I'm working on being ok with taking a break. We've been busy, we had company in town and then I wasn't feeling well and spent the better part of a week laying in bed/on the couch with very little energy. This past weekend I was feeling better and the weather was so nice that I spent most of my time outdoors. Towards the end of last week I began sewing my African Flower Hexagons together, which, though not technically knitting, did satisfy my crafting/stitching needs. 

I'm working hard to try and establish a little bit of balance in my life. For the past 6 years I have dedicated almost all of my leisure time to knitting. I love to knit, so it hasn't been difficult, and since knitting sort of counts as "work" for me, spending a few hours a night knitting always feels very productive. But I've got other interests too, painting, drawing, sewing, gardening, baking... these other interests have all been pushed aside while I've focused on knitting. 

While I most certainly don't plan on putting an end to my knitting career (or even slowing down really), my goal is to try and manage my time off a bit better so I can become more well rounded. The way I see it, diversifying can do lots of good. Change my perspective, allow me to approach my knitting from a different point of view. As a creative person I've become accustomed to these ebbs and flows of inspiration and motivation. The challenge is learning how to be ok with the lows because I know that a high is just around the corner and I've got to be ready to make the most of it!

Do you guys struggle to find balance in your crafting life? Is it just me? Any tips on how to achieve balance?