Friday 17 September 2010

Fair Isle Hat

I've managed to tick a couple projects off of my WIP list. The major project that got a giant check mark next to it on that list was preparing, attending and surviving the K-W Knitter's Fair! Check, check and check. Now that we are successfully on the other side of such a massive weekend my mind is free and clear to start thinking about new things. Like hats! Like a beautiful, slouchy, bohemian, super cool, fair isle hat like this one from my favorite issue of Vogue Knitting:

Fair Isle Hat

I picked out my colours, a combination of Knitpicks Palette and TFA Blue Label yarn, did a quick swatch and cast on! I'm wondering if the gauge given in the pattern is a little off, I'm using fingering weight yarn rather then the recommended sport weight, and am using 3.5mm needles rather than the 3.75mm needles that the pattern calls for, and I'm getting perfect gauge! Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I'll take it.

Fair Isle Hat

So far so good. I find that colourwork has a way of flying off the needles, it brings that whole "just one more row" knitting situation to a new level. Every new row is different and I just can't help myself. I predict I'll have a finished hat by the end of the weekend. 

Hope you're all enjoying this cooler weather we've been having, it's a knitters dream come true!