Friday 3 August 2012

Nanook - FO

IMG_1265

My Nanook (design be Heidi Kirrmaieris finished, and it is perfect! After a good wet blocking the fronts of the cardigan flow open effortlessly. The fit in the body and sleeves is very comfotable and I have to say, knit up in my Orange Label Cashmere/Silk Worsted weight yarn, in the Sand colourway, it's pretty much a dream to wear.

IMG_1294

What drew me to this pattern initially was the collar. It's a show stopper! But upon closer examination I was also really intrigued by the interesting construction elements. I love the combination of lace, garter stitch and stockinette stitch. And I really wanted to see how those gorgeous yoke increases would work out! They create a really pretty starburst pattern of increases along the upper back of the sweater and I think they are just so pretty. I'm mesmerized by how well fitting the resulting sweater is, it definitely makes me re-think the standard sweater yoke construction I usually use (set in sleeves or raglan yokes are not the only options!)

IMG_1296

In the photo just above I love how the fabric transitions from sleek stockinette on the sleeve to textured garter stitch for the front. So pretty. It's details like this that really make a sweater design stand out for me. 

Nanook1

The pattern was really well written, easy to follow and fun to knit. The resulting cardigan is an instant favourite! I would even consider knitting it again. My mom is currently knitting one for herself in Atlantic, I think that everyone should knit themselves a Nanook! 

IMG_1269

I knit this sweater as part of the Luvinthemommyhood Summer Sweater KAL and I've finished it long before the end date. What I should be working on is my Ravellenic games WIP wrestling challenge... How are your Ravellenic Games projects coming along?