Wednesday 24 June 2009

Plum

I haven't exactly gotten into the habit of regular spinning yet. By the end of the day, when I sit down to do something relaxing, I pick up my knitting. For me, spinning is interesting and challenging, but not yet mindless and easy. I have to be in the right mood for it. Once I get started, it's quite peaceful, kind of like yoga, because it's so repetitive. Saturday I was in just the right kind of mood, so I picked out a braid of my hand dyed roving and spent the evening spinning what became this 2 ply yarn.


It's about 130 yards, not as much as I'd like to be able to get out of 4 oz of roving, but still better than my previous trials. It's really encouraging, because I seem to get better every time. I still have to work on keeping my singles light and lofty instead of tight and overspun. Some sections turned out pretty well, but others are still too tight.

I like the colour too. That's what's so fun about spinning hand dyed rovings. The colours combine to create some really beautiful results. This is the roving I used:



Pinks and plums and dark greys, I think it's kind of lovely! This one may turn into a simple hat, I think I have enough yardage... maybe a child's hat! I do have a lovely god-daughter who loves to receive hand knit gifts!