Thursday 16 May 2013

Modified Beatnik Pullover

IMG_5214
Pattern: based on Beatnik by Norah Gaughan.
Yarn: TFA Green Label Aran Weight yarn in Seabreeze.
Ravelry project page here.
beatnik2
Sweater love. There is definitely such a thing. True love between a girl and her new favourite sweater. I don't pick favourites generally, actually, that may be the complete opposite from the truth... every sweater I knit is my new favourite. Which is really a nice thing since I think that getting excited about the things that you make is important. So right now, fresh off the needles, this sweater is IT for me. It's my number one. I love the texture, the cables, the seed stitch 3/4 length sleeves, the wide, high collar. All lovely. 
IMG_5223
If I'm being completely honest I should admit that there were a few things that I didn't love about the knitting of this sweater. Mainly the "increase/decrease in pattern" parts. Increasing and decreasing in seed stitch was difficult to get looking really neat, and frankly I don't think that I nailed it. Along the same lines seaming seed stitch was also no fun. I love the clean, crisp lines of a perfectly mattress stitched seam, and this pattern just didn't allow for that. The seed stitch does do a very good job off hiding any little blips or flaws in seaming though, so I guess it's a problem that takes care of itself. 
beatnik1
I switched out the cables for this sweater to better suit my taste and I'm really happy with the mod. I love that smocking stitch cable and it's extremely easy to do. It has such high impact and is really stretchy, which is nice since I have a few more curves for this sweater to stretch over these days... I do intend to update my Ravelry project page with the charts for the cables I chose, but that will have to wait until I have a bit more time to work them up for you. I did not modify anything other than the cables. I made sure to pick patterns that worked with the given stitch counts for the sweater, so the set in sleeves and front and back shaping remained the same. Super simple mod. Just what I needed. 
IMG_5280
And Seabreeze, still so not over this colourway!