Friday 24 May 2013

Inevitable

I think that every knitter who has a baby goes through what I'm going through right now. The inevitable realization that your knitting time is just not what it used to be. And it's a tough pill to swallow. In the past seven weeks I have knit one sock, 2 sleeves and a collar, and a wee baby sweater. Not terrible progress, but certainly nowhere near what I'm used to. For me, I think the struggle is less about the loss of "free" time that I would have previously devoted to knitting, but more about the loss of my creative output. Knitting, designing and making things is such a huge part of who I am that without it I feel a bit lost. That sounds dramatic, I don't feel terrible or sad, I just miss having an idea and then having all the time in the world to run with it and see it through.

The good news is Rowan is thriving! He is growing like a weed, smiling like the happiest little munchkin ever, and has given Chris and I so much to be grateful for that I feel silly to be missing my stitches. 

We're getting settled in to our new life/work schedule and I can see the day coming when I will have enough energy in the evenings to stay up after Rowan has gone to sleep and get some solid knitting time in. Until then, I'm writing down every idea that pops into my head so when my creative time comes back I'll be ready to make the most of it. Look out!
IMG_5573
I'm glad that I stocked up on baby knits before I actually had a baby! This is the only thing I've knit for my little guy in the seven weeks since he was born. Details, and maybe even modeled shots, coming soon!