Thursday, 11 April 2013

Modified Beatnik in Progress

IMG_4275
Seabreeze - how I love thee. Less than a week before my due date I found myself without a knitting project to really sink my teeth into. I wasn't sure what I should do. I was looking for something that would distract me during that last week of pregnancy when I was getting quite impatient about meeting my baby. I didn't feel up to tackling a new design, a baby knit would be too quick.  I decided to cast on for a sweater for myself, but give my mind a bit of a break by working from someone else's pattern. I've really loved Norah Gaughan's Beatnik pattern ever since it came out in Knitty Deep Fall 2010, but there were a few things about it that weren't quite right for me. I love the shape, the neckline, the sleeves, the heavy texture. But I wasn't crazy about the specific cables used. I picked a few new cables that still give the high contrast texture that I liked from the original version, but are a bit crisper and neater, more in keeping with my personal style. 

I managed to finish the body and block it before I went into labour. Now I just need to knit two sleeves and a collar. I haven't quite figured out where my knitting time fits in since bringing Rowan home. I seem to spend my free time snapping photos or simply snuggling with my boy. But I can see the time coming when I'll be antsy to pick up my needles again. As you can see from the photo below, this is a fitted sweater with quite a bit of waste shaping... just the motivation I need to get back into shape post-baby. I've been living in cardigans for the past 9 months, it'll be nice to have something a bit more trim to wear... wishful thinking? Maybe. 
IMG_4723
Oh, and this colour! I just can't get enough. 

13 comments:

  1. i love the deep texture on those pieces! and the color just pops. congrats again on your new family member and i hope you get to wear your new sweater soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your modifications a lot. I hope when you get the chance (HA!) you'll post how to do your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cables and colours! Try not to worry too much about getting back into shape. A lot of it will happen naturally. Your body is going through a lot of changes now and taking care of a newborn is already very consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Love the cables you chose for the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that colour indeed! Simply gorgeous as is your gorgeous little baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- that is going to be a STUNNING sweater. I loooove the texture of the new cables. And I agree with the above commenter about not worrying about getting back into shape. It is really amazing how your body rebounds after having a baby (in time, of course!!), and how much happens naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fool for smocking - love your mods! And of course the color is fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the happy seabreeze colour! You'll figure out the knitting time soon, it's just to much fun snuggling your new baby, and the newborn stage is so fleeting. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loooove your mods with the cables and the color is da-bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That color is just gorgeous!!! I am such a sucker for bright turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That colour is just GLOWING with beauty. I think I may tackle that Beatnik pattern sooner than later after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my favorite color! I just did your smooth sailing blanket for a best friend's new baby in this color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cabling is amazing! Can't wait to see the finished project :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to answer questions right here in the comments, so if you ask a question, be sure to check back because the answer might be here waiting for you! If you have a really specific question that deserves a more in depth answer be sure to leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can get in touch with you.