Sunday 2 May 2010

Learning to crochet

For a while now I've wanted to learn how to crochet. I think that I've mentioned it here before on the blog. When I've asked my mom to teach me she's always said to just pick up a book or go online and I'd figure it out myself quick enough. So... that's what I've decided to do. Here are some of the items that put me over the top and made me steal 5 crochet hooks from my mom yesterday.

I've seen a few granny square blankets that use white as the border colour and I really love the look. Here's a fave from Solveig (ravelry link):


And good ol' pot holders. There are tons of great examples of crocheted pot holders out there. I'm thinking that these would be a great way to learn, bright colours, small scale, perfect. I love these from through the loops (ravelry link).

The super popular ripple blanket. Another crochet project that has flooded the blogosphere lately, I particularly like the way that this one mixes up the width of the stripes, (ravelry link) plus, we all know I'm a sucker for colours lined up in rainbow order.



And lastly, I am in awe of this peice (ravelry link). This is definitely a project that I hope to tackle myself one of these days. I may take a bit of an easy way out and try and buy a bunch of vintage white doilies for my version, rather than crochet them all, but who knows, I may feel up to the challenge if I get the hang of crocheting. Isn't it awesome!?


I haven't quite mastered the fine art of crochet yet... but I have made two granny squares!


They are far from perfect, I'm having tension issues and I think that I may be doing it backwards... or at least what I was thinking of as the back seems to look much better than my front, so I may have a problem there. A few more trials and a many more errors and I'll be off to the races!