Wednesday 11 March 2009

Adamas Shawl

Last week I was so in love with my new Sand colourway that I just had to cast on for a hat right away. I came up with this cable pattern and am really into it. Chris has been wearing it around the house and every time I look at this hat I like it even more. I'm going to for sure write up the pattern. Hopefully soon! I love that Chris is wearing a hat with a pom-pom, my grandmother always puts pom-pom's on her hats, I feel like a hat just isn't hand knit if it doesn't have a pom-pom. I know that if I had given Chris the choice, he would have opted for no pom-pom, but it's just so much cuter with! There's just something about a full grown man wearing a hat with a pom-pom that I can't get enough of! 


I'm knitting with a new yarn that I plan on adding to my collection. It's a lovely 2 ply lace weight merino yarn. I'm making the Adamas shawl. It's a great geometric pattern that I really like. I dyed this sample in my Garnet colourway. I dyed 2 more sample skeins as well, in Peacock and Mallard and man, I can safely say that this yarn takes dyes beautifully! I've been getting lots of requests on Etsy from people wanting tonal lace yarns, and now that I'm knitting with it myself I can see why. It's really beautiful! The lace pattern is still the focus, but the slight changes in tone throughout really makes for a lovely effect. Here's my attempt at stretching out the lace pattern to show it off a bit:


This yarn will come in 115g skeins, at just over 1000yds per skein, that's a lot of yarn! I've already knit 9 repeats of the pattern and I've still got roughly 2/3rds of the ball left! I had planned on using as much of the skein as possible to really show off it's yardage, but I feel like that's going to result in one ridiculously big shawl! But, I guess with shawls, once you get to the 12th, 13th and 14th repeat, knitting hundreds of stitches per row, you start using a heck of a lot more yarn per repeat then you even thought possible. Or at least that's what always happens to me. I never cease to be amazed at how much yarn a border can take! I'm at the point now where I can't just sit down and finish a repeat, it takes a couple of sit downs before I get through it. 

I'm really enjoying knitting it, I can't wait to see it blocked!